Tuesday, August 3

Happy B-Day Marcel!

For Marcel's 26th birthday he mentioned that he wanted a "Minion" cake. So being the wife that I am I thought I'd give it a shot! I was pretty excited about the way it turned out!

CAKE: I mixed yellow cake batter together, separated it, colored the separated mix with food coloring, swirled it back together for a rainbow type affect and threw together a random design. I made the frosting and separated it for different colors. I had also bought tons of candy so I used Nerds for sprinkles, Jawbreakers around the base and Skittles around the top.

MINIONS: I used regular Hostess Twinkies, froze then cut them for different heights, used blue colored frosting for overalls, stuck googlie eyes on with frosting, for the hair, glasses and arms I used pipe cleaner, the feet were junior mints, their mouths were chocolate frosting and I used cut wooden skewers to stick them on the cake so they wouldn't fall over.

SIGN: I cut wooden skewer sticks to the desired length, got scrapbook paper which I just tore the edges for the effect it has, and sticker letters. I taped the paper to the skewers, stuck them into the minions and wrapped their hands around it to look like they're holding them!

Even though it doesn't really look like it, this cake took up most of my day to make but the end result was totally worth it!


VIOLA! Before I would let Marcel see it I grabbed the camera and made him close his eyes until I was ready. This is the look that was on his face when he opened his eyes and saw it for the first time! Needless to say he was surprised because he had no idea I was making it and he absolutely loved it!

To celebrate his birthday we decided to go up to my families cabin in Faiview for the weekend with our families! We all headed up on Saturday (7/24/10) in the early afternoon. Here's Toby on our way up! He LOVES sticking his head out the window whenever we go anywhere! He has kept it out up to 68 MPH before! What a goof! Once everyone arrived we had a lunch that Suzanna and Uli provided. It was chicken salad sandwiches on croissant rolls with fruit and chips. Very yummy!
After lunch Marcel opened presents. He got a fun board game called "Blokus", 2 cool shirts and a pair of pants, some random Japanese food/goodies, and a pair of basketball shorts with a matching tank top, along with some silly cards! He loved all of it! We ended up singing happy birthday with the cake the following day, which was his actual birthday. I had stuffed 26 candles onto the cake for him to blow out and I thought I had placed all of them far enough away from the paper sign but the little sign with his name on it ended up catching on fire! He blew it out before it was completely destroyed but it gave everyone a good laugh! Everyone really enjoyed the cake. It ended up being really moist and combined with the homemade frosting and candy it was scrumptious! Pascal and Suzanna had brought up stuff to play Badmitton and Horse Shoes so we set it up in the open field across from the cabin! We had lots of fun hanging out in the great weather together and having a great time! Me and the silly birthday boy! :) After playing games for a while we decided to go to the swing! The swing is down through the trees from our cabin. We're not sure who built it or when but my siblings and I discovered it on one of our many adventures when we were younger and we've been visiting it every time we go to the cabin ever since! The swing is so old that the trees have grown around the steps they nailed to them and they've grown a bit too tall to use but the swing is still good! Toby and Jack enjoying nature! After playing outside all day some of us went back to the cabin to start cooking dinner, provided by my parents. We had delicious Angus hamburgers with yummy corn on the cob, juicy fruit and chips. While shucking corn we discovered something interesting... Yeah I know, CrAzY! None of us had ever seen anything like that before! We cooked it up just the way we found it and I decided to try it. It was actually pretty good! It tasted just like the little baby corn you put on salads! All in all dinner was delicious and everyone was stuffed!







Once everyone was finished eating we all just hung around and played games, including Toby and Jack!








That night we made a fire and sat around roasting marshmallows, laughing at each others jokes and enjoying each others company. Toby was so tired from the fun filled day that he fell asleep almost instantly!


In the morning we made Mountain Man breakfast, provided by Marcel and I. For those of you who don't know, Mountain Man breakfast is really good and super easy to make. It consists of scrambled eggs, bacon (or sausage, or both!), hashbrowns and cheese! We paired this with fruit and milk/juice. After breakfast we cleaned everything up, packed all of our things, and headed home. Marcel had a great birthday and it was a fun weekend for everyone!

2 comments:

  1. HOW FUN!! You guys look like you had so much fun! I LOVE your blog...it's my favorite, and you are so very beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are way too nice! Lol! You're B-E-A-Utiful too!

    ReplyDelete